Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
ENJOY SUMMER

Share | 

GTV question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
whom_e

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: GTV question   Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 pm

So!  I don't know if this qualifies as News, but my first Sony GS7, the $99 closeout from Best Buy, died (and more on this some other time) just as I was starting to get the hang of using it.  I had to return it to Sony and just got the replacement, a recertified unit.  This one, like the other, exhibits some puzzling behavior w/ regard to turning on & off -- which I find worrisome.   But maybe I'll figure it out.  

Meanwhile, one quick question.  Can the Logitech 700 keyboard turn the box on?  I've been able to turn it off using the "TV" key (?) but not turn it on. The box has sometimes turned on by itself, but that too is another story...
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male
Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Good question and to be honest w/ya I've never turned mine off. But I would think not because unlike the Logitech Revue for which the K700 KB was made, there are no keyboard commands section in the GS-7 Home Settings. I leave all the GTV devices I've owned on always. When the need arise I do a simple Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The power is negligible.

Carl
Back to top Go down
whom_e

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am

Aha.  Googling the "Revue", I find it was apparently meant to be always "on."  Hadn't realized that.

Meanwhile, I've discovered that just switching the TV to the HDMI input automatically turns the Sony GS7 on.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Excellent find!!!

Lol! I wasn't even aware of the TV trick. Actually, after your post I did notice that turning the box off the way you described acts as a reboot as long as you don't choose the Quick Start. So, the TV key will be simpler than using the Ctrl method.

And yes, these devices are low powered enough, and have enough ram not to need turning off fully every time. But, the Quick Start feature is a form of sleep mode similar to a PC. You'll notice it will wake up on the same page ready to go. So that may be an alternative for ya.

Thanks, Whom-e

Carl
Back to top Go down
whom_e

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:47 am

I tried it in Quick Start mode, and guess what, switching the tv to HDMI input does not seem to turn the  box back on in that mode...?   Also the box grew warm when dormant, which made me nervous -- an (extreme) over-heating of the first box seemed to lead to its apparent demise.   Got to explore those system options, though...

I don't think there's any Google TV for Dummies or Missing Manual out  there, is there?
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi Whom_e

Do you have your box in a cabinet? Mine sits atop my PC next to my Router.

I tested the  control for HDMI and didn't like it. Weird things started to happen and I'd look up at the screen and see the HDMI diagram showing the TV just lost connectivity w/the player.

No, but there is so much info out there that just Googling anything about the GS-7 will get ya the info you need as per your earlier post.

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

I just had a thought. What made you feel the box to determine whether it was hot? I have never thought to do that. Just as I've never thought to turn any device I own off except for my 32" for obvious power conservation. I've owned so many  units over the years and never babied any of them. If I have to be gentle that device will die an early death.

I just use em & leave them alone. I don't think I've come across a genuine case of any of these little gadgets dying from overheating. Altho, I'll admit folks do strange things. One person had their Revue sitting on a shag carpet and wondered why it behaved so poorly. The carpet fibers were smothering that dang thing!

Then there was the Vizio nut who bought an elaborate cooling system and sat his device in the middle of it. I'm not kidding, he posted pictures!

Turning these device on & off is probably the greater strain then the minimal amount of heat they generate left on or in standby mode. I tried to keep the MSNTV 2 on all the time but turns out it had a mind of its own and would turn itself off at random.

There are so many things folks do to make these devices last longer. I just can't see it. I use my unit to the max. I abuse it trying to find work-arounds or help others in the groups. Still the only unit I lost was the Logitech Revue which I dropped while moving.

May it rest in peace...

Carl

P.S. Oh, and I've destroyed a few MSNTV 2 units in utter frustration. Ssh...
Back to top Go down
whom_e

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 am

Carlszone wrote:
What made you feel the box to determine whether it was hot?
It's true, I've been obsessing over its temperature since my original box overheated badly last month and then would not turn on again.  (How did I notice that one was hot?  It must have been when I was moving it around, adjusting the cord or whatever.  Remember I'm still trying to put this whole set-up together.)  I'd like to know if the first box was defective or was it something I did.  Could it have had anything to do with a couple of Notepad apps I'd installed and was checking out?  It seems those apps can mess with your system settings.  Carl, do you know of a good, simple Notepad?  I had been looking at Evernote, I think, or maybe it was some sort of third-party spinoff of Evernote.  

I'd also like to have a mail app.  I've seen K-9 Mail mentioned.  Wonder if it would serve as a mail client, so that  "mailto:" links -- "Contact me" or the like -- would be supported, for example, instead of triggering that annoying "There is no application for this action"-type error message.

I remember one of the early Logitech Revue adopters on WebTV announcing in the help groups (in response to the charge that Google TV didn't have mail) that he'd been able to "migrate" (as he misleadingly put it) his various email addresses to the box.  He said there was a place where you could just put in all your addresses.  What was he talking about?  Did the Logitech Revue have such an "app" pre-installed?

P.S. The Sony unlike the Logitech, at least seems to be meant to be turned on & off, since the Sony remote has a power button.  But I take your point -- for ex., I don't turn my A/V receiver off that often, and it gets much hotter (but it's a huge devil)...  Anyway, more later.  I may pose some further questions in the Google TV Forum (although ironically, I find that to be a relatively difficult site to navigate -- and view  -- with Google TV)...

Last edited by whom_e on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding p.s.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GTV question   

Back to top Go down

GTV question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1