Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
ENJOY SUMMER

Share | 

Favorite Author ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Favorite Author ?   Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Whose your favorite author ?

Mine is JD Robb which is a pseudonym Nora Roberts uses for her murder mystery books.

This series is not Nora's romance format. Of course there is romance in there! This series is a mystery style. It takes place in NYC in the year 2058. When people do travel " off planet" and prostitution is legal. Your car drives you and you have " auto chefs " in house, car , even your office. The way ROBB writes about the future this is truly believable. Lt. Eve Dallas is a tough woman. She is strong, independent, and she truly fights and believes in her job as homicide detective. In this book she finds her main suspect a billionaire name Roarke. He is very charming, Irish, has lived a little on the edge, rich, and good-looking! Eve has now found her match. Roarke didn't have the ideal childhood either and they make the most wonderful couple. This is an excellent series, and keeps you entertained and you don't want to put the book down. Robb does a great job in making the who done it a total surprise!
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Over the years, I've had dozens of favorite authors.  If I really loved a book and the writing, in many cases, I would proceed to read almost everything that author wrote.  Some of those authors were George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, and more recently Richard Russo (Nobody's Fool). Toni Morrison (Beloved), Pat Conroy (Prince of Tides) and more.

Due to vision problems, I haven't read much over the past 5 or 6 years, but armed since February with a Kindle and a Sony Walkman for audiobooks,  I am happily reunited with my favorite pastime.  This year, for the first time, I have been sampling  mystery writers/books.  I prefer those that focus on detective work and court trials, not the details of bloody murders or getting into the minds of psychopathic killers.  My favorites so far are Michael Connelly and John Grisham.

Nancy, you have convinced me!  I will try a couple of books by JD Robb.  I really like the idea of a series that takes place in 2058 Any suggestion about which ones to start with?

Sandy  PS Wish someone had told me when this topic was up and running.

Back to top Go down
nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Sandy I used to love John Grisham but after the first few books it seem like he was in a rush to finish the book. He would introduce characters at the beginning of the book that had no relevance to the story and it seem like he didn't bring some of the story lines to an conclusion or if he did then he would rush them. But then it's been so long since I've read any of his books that I can no longer remember which books turned me off to him--maybe I'll give him another try.

Pat Conroy I used to read and got to admit that I just totally forgot that I liked his books. I went through a period when I was on webtv that I was too busy with that to read so when I finally got back to reading I end out getting into JD Robb, John Sandford, Brian Freeman and a few other murder mystery books that I forgot about the old authors I used to read.

With the JD Robb books you need to read them in correct order in order to understand the story line but also because the main character is a loner with no family who slowly finds herself surrounded with new friends and family, those new friends/family are added along the way and each of those characters are build upon---it just helps to read them in order. Here's a list of her books in chronological order http://www.jdrobb.com/books/quick.php
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:09 pm

TexGirl wrote:
 PS Wish someone had told me when this topic was up and running.

Sorry Sandy Idea  Sad 

That's why there are a posts since last , and an unanswered buttons .

Back to top Go down
TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Nancy, thanks sooo much for the chronological list.  I've started a hard copy file on the mysteries I've read and those I want to read, so I printed out your list and put it in my file. I spent some time this afternoon reading Amazon reviews of J D Robb's "In Death" series and found that many of her books had some of the highest ratings I've ever seen there, i.e. 4.5 and 4.6 out of a perfect 5.0.  Amazon threw me off though with their so-called dates of publication, showing that the first book, "Naked in Death" was published in 2011.  Not!!  It was written in 1995.  One of the local library branches has that one on CDs, so I went online and put it on hold.

I like to start with mystery writer's earliest books.  Many of them are in a series featuring a particular detective, like Sandford's Lucas Davenport. So, I've been reading John Grisham, beginning with his first book, "A Time To Kill."  I read though that he went through a writing slump over the past few years.  The good news is that his latest book, "Sycamore Row," has received rave reviews from both critics and readers. It's supposed to be a sorta sequel to "A Time To Kill," so I went ahead and put that on hold too.

Sandy

Back to top Go down
TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
TexGirl wrote:
 PS Wish someone had told me when this topic was up and running.

Sorry Sandy Idea  Sad 

That's why there are a posts since last , and an unanswered buttons .
Aw Henry, it's not your fault, but if it is, I forgive you.  Could use your help with 2 things:

1. How do I add an avatar?
2, Why does my name appear twice in this topic, with the same time/date stamp when I've made just a single post?

Sandy PS Is your avatar an actual picture of you?

Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:53 pm

In the Blue under the Welcome art and group description header area , hit profile , then still in blue 1 row down hit Avatar .

Mine is from the Gallery Selection .

Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I see 2 posts Yesterday at 12:47pm and Yesterday at 5:41pm .

As we are in cst U should see same .

Back to top Go down
TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Aw heck.  I thought that great looking guy was you, maybe taken when you were a bit younger. Will check to see if the Gallery Selection includes a cute female pic.  Meg Ryan would work Very Happy   

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Antony Beevor if I were to pick one.
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Tiz, I checked out Antony Beevor at Amazon and found some great reviews that say things like, "Historians and reviewers worldwide have hailed Antony Beevor's magisterial Stalingrad as the definitive account of World War II's most harrowing battle."

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:03 pm

TexGirl wrote:
Will check to see if the Gallery Selection includes a cute female pic.  Meg Ryan would work Very Happy   

Sandy
You've always been into anime.

And Beevor's Stalingrad is the book I'm reading right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Author ?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Author ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1