Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
ENJOY SUMMER

Share | 

Google TV News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GFyre

Number of posts : 3491
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Where do ppl set their set-top boxes?  Especially those of us/you who like to collect the latest ( cheapest) Entertainment device?  

Do you have extra fans blowing so that you don't become overheated and extra grumpy?  Do you have the old style TV Entertainment cabinets to hold all the set-tops and gosh knows wires ( all tabulated with ID Stickers) so that you can keep everything straight and orderly?

How's da electric bill these days?  cyclops  Is it worth it?  scratch 

Are you still in a  meaningful relationship or have you been regulated to the basement with your fellow gadget hounds ? wel   

:bwahaha: 

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Lol!

I love this! It is funny that you mention electric bills, wires, and various electronics. Have you used a cable service w/phone recently. They have this God-Awful configuration of telephone modem that is guaranteed to strew more cables across yer floor than anything I've seen yet.

Cable companies are so arrogant that they are getting lazy! Instead of using the wiring that exists in most apartments & homes, they would rather use  a phone modem. This thing avails yer Cox phone to be connected outside of your telephone line. How does this make sense?

I actually had an over-aggressive Cox tech come into my apartment and demand that I use their telephone modem after I paid $74.00 for the current cable modem. I promptly told him to Kiss My Grits, altho,  not in those words! The arrogance of the cable company is frightening!

Cable could have added more wires to my entertainment system than any device I have requires. HdMI cables can be hid. Going wireless of course limits cables but may compromise security. It all depends on how you have your system set up.

As for electricity concerns, are you kidding me? All the GTV devices I've ever owned do not equate to more than a coupla dollars a month running 24/7. Any device that does?  Return it!

Google TV is the Cheap man's all in one device...

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi

Honestly, I must tell ya! Google TV is at a crossroads. I would not & cannot recommend any GTV device right now. Do not buy any of the current GTV devices currently on the market. And for Goodness sakes! Do not even think of buying any of the Smart TVs being sold anywhere!

Wait all this crap out! Google TV may be revised in the above forementioned Nexus TV attempt. Yeah, Hell hasn't frozen over yet, but it just might.

Buying a device to make yer TV smart makes sense. Buying a Smart TV is insane!

An HDTV you own. A smart TV owns you...

I'm serious...

Thanks

Carl
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Don't worry Carl, I still own a CRT TV .. presently unplugged and wrapped in Xmas Lights.. rendeer 

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am

Aha!

I was wondering what kept bugging me about the way threads are listed and couldn't quite put my finger on it. I kept having a hard time finding my last post in any thread I was watching. I now realize each thread is in a descending order which means new posts get buried by older threads. I've never seen any forum that lists new posts last.

Or is there a way for me to change the way I'm viewing threads? I didn't see any options in Profile.

What up???

Carl
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 2237
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Ah this one also !

I'll go adjust it .  seems the default is new Topics on bottom . I come in by email , or post since last Visit so had not noticed . THANKS 4 using your keyboard so I knew !

I have these settings ,
Sort topics by : most recent in first
Sort the posts of a topic by : most oldest in first

is how they are now now .

And I think I just changed the wrong 1! is this how you wanted it ?

Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Henry

I'm not sure you can change this. Try this: Go to General News. The first topic is datef 2008. The newer threads are still on page 2. So the Obituary thread I started a few weeks ago is buried. And yes I go to most topics via e-mail or the latest posts search feature. But threads should always start w/the newest posts 1st. If you are new to this group which most of the readers of GTV news are, than it will look like nothing new has been posted. Or folks will have to scroll down a long ways to get to the latest posts.

It would be great if you can default all threads to newest first. If ya can't oh well...

Thanks

Carl
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:40 pm

:iagree:  I couldn't find my Baking Question .. .it was on page 2 all the way down at the bottom. . and that made no kind of sense. confused 

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Tech Crunch: AirCast Mobile Wants To Make Phone-To-TV Video Sharing As Easy As Texting

Posted 5 hours ago by Chris Velazco (@chrisvelazco)

Chances are you’ve got a screen in your pocket and a screen in your living room, and as time goes on more and more companies are trying to find ways to make the two play nice together. The latest entrant in the field is a Chicago-based startup called AirCast Mobile is taking a stab at bringing the phone-television content gap with an app called AirCastLive that lets users remotely send their videos to televisions for viewing.

“But wait,” I can hear you mentally murmuring. “Can’t I already do this with Miracast and Airplay?”

Well, yes and no. There’s no denying that televisions and the devices around them are much, much smarter than they used to be and those two options are largely peachy as long as you’re within range or on the same network. AirCast’s draw is that you don’t actually need to be anywhere that television to get content onto it, as long as you’ve got a decent cellular connection.

The big caveat? You have to have a Roku or a Google TV box lashed to your television to make it all work. You see, each Aircast user’s TV gets a unique (but customizable) ID that they can plug into the companion iOS or Android app. Once those people have the Aircast app installed, the process of shooting video or snapping photos and sending them along to that linked television doesn’t take more than a few taps. Once the intended recipient has installed that AirCast app on their media box of choice, they get a notification that a new video has arrived for their perusal.

To hear founder and CEO Mike Linhardt tell it, it’s a video experience that’s much more akin to messaging than what people may be used to, and that’s just fine.

“The television has largely been a passive device,” Linhardt, a mobile TV veteran, said. “There’s no real interaction between you and your TV.” Phones on the other hand are constantly checking and updating and buzzing with new content, and Linhardt’s vision is to make that sort of content experience possible in living rooms. The team’s been at it for a while now, too — they have received two infusions of seed funding over the past two years or so. the first helped the fledgling company get off the ground, and more importantly, cobble together some consumer-facing products to launch as a sort of dry run for today.

Google TV boxes and Roku are only the first beachheads that AirCast has established, but it’s already gearing up to expand its reach beyond those boxes. Linhardt confirmed that the team has been in talks with a particular smart TV manufacturer about a pre-loading agreement that would see new set shipping with the video app onboard. I’m told it was already a done deal, though I couldn’t get him to give up the name of the company they’ve partnered up with — they say its a “notable” player in the place, but we’ll see how it actually pans out.

Still, it’s not hard to see why purveyors of new televisions are interested in fleshing out their software stacks — it’s often the easiest to differentiate themselves from the rest of the (terribly crowded) pack.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google Said To Release Nexus TV Next Year   Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:52 pm

GTV Source: Google Said To Release Nexus TV Next Year

Edgar Cervantes  Posted on Dec 12th 2013 by Edgar Cervantes

Google is said to be working on a Nexus TV. Google TV fans have been dreaming of a Nexus-branded TV or set-top box for a long time. It seems it is finally happening, except this rumored device would not be a Google TV. It seems the rumors of the new “Android TV” are true, and this might be the first device to come with the new platform.

The rumor comes from The Information, who’s sources claim this Android-based set-top box would could be released as soon as the first half of 2014. This device would be able to stream video from services like Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. In addition, the box would also allow you to play some video games.

This sounds a lot like Google TV, except for one factor – it will not support live broadcast TV. Which is the biggest known difference between Android TV and Google TV.

All these living room platforms leave us in a very confused state of mind. We have Google TV, which was meant to blend live TV and smart TV in the best way possible. Then Chromecast comes along with an amazing price and great potential for support. Now Android TV, with no focus on live TV? What is going on here?

Will Google TV simply be axed and replaced by Android TV? If such is the case, will Google no longer care for live TV? Will all of these platforms live together? If Google wanted to replace Google TV, why not just focus on one platform?

These are only a few of the questions this situation raises. We will find out more about this next year, we suppose.

About The Author

Edgar Cervantes is a Contributing Editor for GTVsource.com and has posted 172 articles
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google Play Movies and Google Play Music websites get native Chromecast support    Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 pm

(Thanks to Catfish Rivers of Google TV Forums)

Gigaom: Google Play Movies and Google Play Music websites get native Chromecast support

By Janko Roettgers  
22 hours ago  

Summary:

Users are now able to launch music and movie streams from the web, just like has been possible with YouTube and Netflix since Chromecast launched.

Google Play Music and Google Play Movies just got a bit more tightly integrated with Chromecast: Users of Google’s TV dongle can now launch music and video streams straight from the websites of the two services, thanks to native support for Google’s streaming stick that was rolled out Thursday afternoon. Previously, native casting was only available through both service’s mobile apps.

The new experience is very similar to the way Chromecast integrates with Netflix and YouTube, where users can fling a video to their Chromecast-equipped TV set simply by pressing the cast button within the video player, provided they have Chrome and the Google Cast extension installed. Here’s a screenshot of how the cast button looks like on Google Play Music:

Chromecast got a big update earlier this week, with ten new third-apps coming to the platform. Google hasn’t said when it will bring Chromecast support to additional Google apps, but the company has been experimenting with cast support for a variety of its services.

A few months ago, users briefly were able to cast YouTube videos embedded on third-party websites, and some users have reported that they’ve been able to cast presentations natively from Google Drive. And also this week, Google released a Santa Tracker app with Chromecast support.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:04 am

Google is moving at top speed despite MS et al suing the pants off 'em, eh?

rendeer 

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 am

Yep! The new corporate status symbol is how many lawsuits you accumulate. If folks ain't suing ya, you don't exist.

Lol!

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google Chromecast Makes Sense For Free Roku and Apple TV   Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Society And Religion: Google Chromecast Makes Sense For Free Roku and Apple TV

By Amir Ariff on December 18, 2013 inGadgetsTechnology

With television and internet becoming more and more seamlessly integrated, it only makes sense that Google came up with a way to get content from your PC to TV easily.

Enter the new Google Chromecast, a cheap $35 little gizmo that plugs into your TV’s HDMI slot and streams certain types of content from your computer to the screen. If you are a Netflix fan or enjoy watching YouTube on a bigger platform, read on – the Chromecast may be your answer.

Design

In the box, you will find three black pieces to the Google Chromecast: the much advertised 2-inch Chromecast stick that plugs into your TV, a HDMI extender to allow you to plug the Chromecast in to hard-to-reach ports, and a power supply that can either run from the Chromecast stick to a wall outlet or a USB port on your TV. While the power supply may come as a surprise to some since it is not shown in the commercials, it still is pretty small and convenient.

Setup

Once you plug in the device to your television, you will receive an onscreen prompt to complete the setup with your PC or smartphone. You must then download the Chromecast app in order to control the device. The setup steps online are very simple and user-friendly, but you will need your home Wi-Fi password to complete installation. It will only take a few minutes from start to finish.

Operation

Now that setup is complete, it’s time to start viewing content. Your choices include Netflix, Google TV, Google Music, and Movies. Once you have made your selection, simply click “Cast,” select your Chromecast, and the content will begin wireless streaming from the cloud. At this point, your smartphone or PC functions like a remote control, allowing you to plause, play, and rewind whatever is streaming onto your television. Image quality on these channels is fantastic. Another feature of Chromecast is the ability to “mirror” what is on your Chrome browser, so you can view any online video content on your television. The quality may not always be perfect when doing so, but it is still a nice plus. There are still not too many content channels available, although Google hopes to add more in the future. You also can’t stream your own video and photos from your computer to television using the Chromecast.

While the Chromecast is not the next Apple TV or Roku device, it is a solid little performer at won’t require a lot of cash in order to try it. With more and more modern televisions in hotel rooms, travelers may find the Chromecast particularly useful on trips, especially considering its small size and weight. The tiny pricetag has resulted in a great deal of interest and popularity, so there are high hopes that future programming choices will be expanded. Even now, though, it is still worth a try, especially if you don’t already have a Roku.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Roku, Apple TV And Chromecast: Which One Streams The Best?   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Mercury News: Roku, Apple TV And Chromecast: Which One Streams The Best?

By Anick Jesdanun
Associated Press
Posted: 12/19/2013 01:20:35 PM PST | Updated: About 6 hours ago

NEW YORK -- I was happy watching television shows and movies on my computer -- until I realized what I was missing.

Streaming video devices such as Roku, Apple (AAPL) TV and Google's (GOOG) Chromecast project video from Netflix (NFLX), YouTube and other services onto the big-screen TV. Suddenly, the computer seems inadequate. Internet television will never be the same.

Internet-connected TVs, TiVo digital video recorders and various game consoles also come with apps for video services. But frequent users of these services will likely want a device that focuses on doing that one thing well.

People must still subscribe individually to Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Major League Baseball and other services, though that can often be done right from the TV screen. Some services require a subscription with certain cable or satellite TV providers. With HBO Go, for instance, Comcast and DirecTV subscribers can use Apple TVs but not Rokus, while it's the other way around with Charter.

Roku 3 ($100):

Roku started as a project within Netflix, which was looking for a cheap way for subscribers to get Internet movies and TV shows onto regular TVs. Roku was spun out into a separate company, and the device now works all major video services except Apple's iTunes.

It also plays games such as "Angry Birds," offers language lessons, supports music services such as Pandora and Spotify and lets you browse photos on Smugmug, Flickr and other services. All told, there are more than 1,000 apps available from Roku's store, many of them free.

Apps often replicate the experience on the services' websites. With Hulu, for instance, you can browse video by genre or play items in your queue. With Netflix, you get profiles for up to five individuals, with separate recommendations and watch lists.

With each service designing its own app, it feels as though I have 1,000 devices in one. Each app has its own on-screen keyboard when searching for video. The remote's up button gets me options such as closed captioning on Hulu, but it exits the video on Amazon and Netflix.

Roku's remote control has an unconventional headphone jack. Plug a pair in, and sound on the TV will automatically turn off. That's great if others in your household are trying to read or sleep.

Like Apple TV and Chromecast, the Roku 3 requires a high-definition TV with an HDMI port. Roku has cheaper models that work on older TVs, but they have slower processors and require Wi-Fi. The Roku 3 and Apple TV let you plug in an Internet cable if your wireless connection is fussy.

Apple TV ($99):  

Think of Apple TV as a Roku with fewer apps -- only 27, plus Apple's own services. Apple is constantly adding new ones, and those get installed automatically. Apple wants to keep the device clean and focus on the services people use most. It offers Netflix, Hulu, PBS, HBO, ESPN, YouTube and more -- though Amazon's service is missing.

However, Apple TV is alone in supporting Apple's services. You can buy or rent iTunes content right from the device, or you can play music and video stored on iCloud or your computer, iPhone or iPad. Instead of Pandora or Spotify, you get Apple's streaming music service, iTunes Radio.

Where Apple TV excels is in consistency. The keyboard is the same whether you're on HBO Go, Hulu Plus or Netflix, and the menu layout is similar from app to app. You can subscribe to many of the services right from the device and have that billed to your iTunes account. No need to search for your credit card each time, as Roku requires.

Apple TV works fine as a stand-alone device, but much of its power comes from working with other Apple products. Place an iPhone or an iPad with iOS 7 near the Apple TV to bypass the initial setup and transfer account information wirelessly.

With AirPlay, your iPhone, iPad or Mac can launch content not available through the included apps. That's the way I watched "Margin Call" on Amazon. Charter subscribers can watch HBO that way, too. Unfortunately, DVDs are blocked because of rights issues. You'll have to figure out a way to hook up your computer to the TV directly, or buy a DVD player. On Windows computers, AirPlay is limited to iTunes content and photos.

In many cases, you can keep using your phone or tablet while the video plays on the TV. With the latest Mac system, Mavericks, you also can turn the Apple TV into an extension of your desktop, though your Mac and Internet connection both need to be strong.

Chromecast ($35):  

Google's device is a third the price of the others, but it's also quite dumb by design. It is the size of a USB flash drive and plugs into an HDMI port. Turn on the TV -- and nothing happens.

It's more of a conduit between the TV and your mobile device.

Start by downloading Google's Chromecast app on your Apple or Android device. Then download one or more of the 17 apps supported. The list is short, but growing. As with Apple TV, Amazon's service isn't supported. Neither is Apple's iTunes. But it's alone among the three devices to support music and video through Google Play.

The Chromecast is the best option when individuals in a household have separate accounts for Hulu and other services. Each person controls the device from his or her phone; with Apple TV and Roku, it's annoying to sign in and out each time.

Once you have content running on your phone or tablet, you tap a button to fling it to the TV. You can then use your device for other things. You can forward, rewind or pause video from the phone, but you're stuck with that video once the phone loses its connection with the Chromecast, which happened often. The Wi-Fi connection needs to be strong, and Chromecast offers no wired alternative, as the others do.

From a personal computer, you can mirror a Chrome browser tab on the big screen. Again, the connection often cuts out.

With all three devices, I have occasional problems with audio and video not syncing properly, making it seem as though I'm watching a badly dubbed foreign film. It happened most often on the Chromecast and the least on Apple TV.

But I sometimes had hiccups when using AirPlay. Playing content through a native app is the smoothest option, and Roku has the most choices for that. For me, Apple TV is the best choice if you use iTunes and have other Apple gadgets.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Handicapping Google’s Assault on the TV Industry    Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Gigaom: Handicapping Google’s Assault on the TV Industry

Dec. 19, 2013  
By Bud Albers

Google’s Chromecast and reported NFL negotiations are only the latest in a long line of attacks on the TV business. To date, this path has been littered with failures, but Google is in it for the long term. Furthermore, changing the fabric of the long standing television industry is more than just a matter of convenience for the company – it’s clearly a goal and perhaps even a necessity.

This report addresses the following points:

•The ripest adjacent market for Google is television. Online video is gaining rapidly and related advertising is beginning to show metrics exceeding the effectiveness of traditional TV. As these lines blur Google wins by gaining access to TV monies, and as dollars migrate Google increases the value of its current advertising on a per unit basis.

•Google’s summer 2013 release of Chromecast further adds to a large and growing set of tools that position Google to challenge the traditional television model.

•Google’s dominant market share in online and mobile advertising now accounts for more than 5x its nearest competitor. However, gaining a larger share will be difficult even for Google, meaning new markets will be needed.

Recent reports indicate that Google may enter into some sort of over the top pay TV equivalent. Live events – particularly sports – are critical for this equation to work, both in attracting and retaining subscribers, but also in terms of supporting an economically sound advertising payload.

The economics of the traditional cable model may be becoming unsustainable. There are a limited set of options available to the traditional providers – force unbundling, migrate to an IP based platform, consolidate for scale, leverage original programming, move to tiered and usage-based data pricing, and/or fix TV Everywhere.

There’s another radical wildcard potential move: Traditional cable companies could actually partner with the rapidly developing multichannel video partners of YouTube to flood the traditional ecosystem with abundant, narrowly targeted programming. That could flatten viewership levels across a broader content base, deleveraging TV studio and network power, and slowing the growth of programming costs.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:54 am

Pocket Lint: Google in 2014: Pocket-lint predicts

By Jake Smith 4 hours ago

Google had a successful year, with more profits, more products, rising stock price and a stronghold on the mobile OS market worldwide, but 2014 is on the horizon, so what's in store for the next 12 months?

Here are our predictions for what to expect from Google in the new year. Please bear in mind that these are predictions based on everything we’ve seen and heard within the industry in 2013 - so don’t be surprised if Google has changed its course drastically or scrapped some of its plans.

That said, let's speculate, shall we?

Android TV

A Gigaom report in October noted that Google may soon cease using the Google TV label and require all new devices to be rebranded as "Android TV." Since mid-2013, Google TV manufacturers including Sony and LG have stopped using "Google TV" branding, hinting an announcement may be coming soon.

An official Android TV announcement is yet to be made by Google. However, it could come in 2014 as the company has struggled getting the Google TV platform off the ground. The move to Android TV could potentially allow manufacturers to add custom software on top of an Android-based TV software, much like it does with the operating system on phones and tablets. Android TV within Android 4.4 KitKat was previously tipped.

There are two logical places to announce Android TV, if it does indeed come to market: CES 2014 in January or Google I/O in May.

Google has been notorious for making Google TV announcements at the tradeshow in Las Vegas during early January, so we may see Android TV there. If Google TV isn't discussed during the trade show, then it may be a great sign of an Android TV announcement for later in the year.

Chromecast

While it was released in 2013, the Chromecast's time to shine will be 2014. The low-cost media streaming dongle will be made available internationally, rather than sparsely in the US and UK during the next year.

Google vice president of product Mario Queiroz told Gigaom: “We are going to be launching in a number of international markets." He added that people are going to be “pleasantly surprised” by the scope of this international expansion.

READ: Chromecast review

Furthermore, the Chromecast team will be opening up its SDK to make hundreds (if not thousands) of apps Chromecast-compatible. This push started in 2013 with the Netflix app, letting users push content from their mobile phone to TV at the press of a button. Google will also be partnering with consumer electronics companies to bring 'cast functionality to other devices in 2014.

It will be a big push for a larger audience. Developers will then see the media platform as an area of focus when adding features to their apps.

Nexus TV

Tech news publication The Information, which cited an anonymous Google employee, reported in December that Google will unveil a "Nexus TV" device in 2014. Perhaps running the aforementioned Android TV. It will stream video content from Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc, and play video games. It won't support live broadcast like the Xbox One's media functionality, but it will be "aggressively priced".

Google's Andy Rubin allegedly gave private demonstrations of the prototype at CES 2013, showing off its Android OS and Hangouts functionality as core features. The box notably had a video camera and motion sensor and was originally rumoured to launch at Google I/O in 2013, but Google decided to show the Chromecast instead.

Could Google I/O in May 2014 be the Nexus TV's launch event?

Android past the smartphone and tablet

We're expecting a continued resurgence past the smartphone and tablet, and into the wearables space for Google. Samsung kicked things off on the Android side with the Galaxy Gear in 2013 and other manufacturers are expected to follow the company's lead in order to tackle the new market.

In March, the Financial Times reported Google's Android division is working on its own smartwatch, more than likely in the Nexus program. Later in the year, 9to5google added to the speculation, saying a Google "Gem" smartwatch is coming. It will reportedly feature at a glance Google Now-like information tiles and Bluetooth 4.0 to take advantage of your phone's brains to give it the best battery life possible.

Chromebook

The Chromebook saw its first high-end model during 2013 with Google's Chrome Pixel, but 2014 will be a year of aiming for the budget crowd.

Chrome OS is built for lightweight machines. It allows manufacturers to keep down on the price and still bring enough processing power for users to get work done.

Asus has already confirmed it will get in on the Chromebook market during 2014. We suspect Samsung, Asus, LG, Acer and HP will continue targeting schools and customers on a budget during the new year - probably with a focus on cheap touchscreens too.

READ: Chrome Pixel review

The Chromebook platform struggles to gain marketshare, however. According to IDC numbers from earlier this week, the Chromebook market sat at 1 per cent of all shipped PCs and tablets in Q3 2013. Samsung led the way with roughly 652,000 Chromebooks shipped, and other vendors represented "tiny volume".

Could 2014 be the Chromebook's year?

Next-generation Google Glass for the public

Google Glass has been available for members of the "Explorer" program - aka those who paid $1,500 to check out the technology early - during 2013. Google plans to expand its wearables program in the new year with a Glass product aimed at the masses, and at a reasonable price point between $200 - $600.

In April, Google chairman Eric Schmidt said: "Well, the developers are beginning now. It would be fair to say that there will be thousands of these in use by developers over the next months and based on their feedback we'll make some product changes and it's probably a year-ish away."

Google has been making major changes to Google Glass in the latter part of 2013, including the announcement of prescription lenses, an earbud accessory, several software enhancements, and a second version of Google Glass with small changes that Explorers can get for free.

Second-generation Nexus 10

The second-generation Nexus 10 was believed to launch in autumn of 2013, but it never came. Now we suspect that the Asus-made product will be launched in 2014.

An earlier blip on Google Play told of a 10-inch screen at a 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution for 300ppi, a customary Snapdragon 800 chipset along with a hefty 3GB of RAM, 8-megapixel rear-camera, 2.1-megapixel front-camera, and a whopping 9,000mAh battery.

The 16GB version of the current Nexus 10 made by Samsung has seen its stock dwindle to non existent in recent months. Usually, along with a new product launch, a company will drain the stock to make way for the new product.

Advancing voice search

Speaking to Computerworld, Google spokesperson Krisztina Radosavljevic-Szilagyi said Google has plans to focus on voice search in 2014. It not only wants to refine its search product on Android, but bring voice search in its Google app on iOS up to par with the Android platform.

"We're pretty close to par with Android," said Radosavljevic-Szilagyi. "On Android, we're also improving search all the time. Ultimately, we want people to be able to use search on both platforms the same way."

Google made big changes to its voice product in 2013, advancing Google Now to become one of the best performing voice assistants in the industry. Additionally, the Moto X brought Touchless Control, allowing users to say "OK Google" or "Ok Google (Now)" and then either execute the command or send the request to Google Voice Search, even with the handset's display off.

The feature then extended to Android 4.4 KitKat for even more handsets.

However, Google still has further plans. "The interaction should become more natural," Radosavljevic-Szilagyi continued. "With the growth in mobile, voice just becomes more natural."
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:28 pm

WoW, Where do I begin?  Google isn't going to let the Networks ( different meaning now , huh?  Wink ) slow it down from world domination, eh?

Google has what others don't . . . . . .CAT videos. . and lots of 'em , too!  One can watch a three-toed sloth cross the road , and a cheetah stare at itself ( mirror) in the wilds of Africa .

With Google buying robotic companies, soon they'll have drones flying overhead to get that  affraid  moment when you're out sunbathing as it flies by to post images of ya on X-Tube; we know what you did last night , with no curtains in the winder thinking your safe from prying eyes out there on the back 40.  Don't Lookin  for us, we'll  Suspect  youuuuuuuuuuuuu  no matter where you move to . . you can't hide from the  cyclops 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  MAY PEACE BLESS YOUR DOORWAY ALL THE YEAR THROUGH!

rendeer santa GirlyBRRR 

alien
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Digitimes Research: Google Turns To Push Android-based TV Products   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 am

Digitimes: Digitimes Research: Google Turns To Push Android-based TV Products

Tom Lo, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Thursday 26 December 2013]

Google TV, which was first launched in 2010, will no longer see any subsequent product release in the future as Google has already merged its Google TV team with the Android team, and the company will also turn to push TV products adopting Android operating system in the future with the Chromecast being one of the star products.

Google's experience in Google TV has helped the company achieve success with its Chromecast, but the company's roadmap for the TV industry may also need to be adjusted.

Digitimes Research believes that the Chromecast will generate demand for Android TV in the market and turn the Android TV system into a core entertainment device in families because of its smartphone connectivity. The Chromecast is also expected to boost adoption of Chrome browser and increase PC advertisements' presence in the TV advertising market.

This article is an excerpt from a Chinese-language Digitimes Research report.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:30 am

Hi

Can someone please remove the Merry Christmas URL. It is making navigating this site very annoying.

Thanks

Carl
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:23 pm

The depth of the block or the message ?

Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:36 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
The depth of the block or the message ?

Excellent, Thanks!

The problem was every time I clicked on a page the message box would appear enlongated. This forum is a little more difficult to navigate than most. Having to click on a blank area to be able to scroll down on certain pages and the way the messages are formatted makes for slow going. Also there is a video download on the login page that I thought was a video message but it downloaded something on my PC that I was eventually able to uninstall. Later I saw the warning message.

I really hate the way this forum is set up. Sorry, but there just seems to be too many obstacles we have to overcome just to find, post or navigate through this forum. One example is the Forum name. Since the forum is call 'The Community' using the first few letters should bring up recent visits in the search bar. But because the URL starts w/msntv.community the search query doesn't appear. Same w/a seach on Google or Bing. And yes, we can edit our bookmarks or access this site via the latest post feature. But this would be ideal if we only plan to talk to ourselves. But non-members and new users ability to view posts, especially news topics, w/ease should be the goal.

There's gotta be a better way...

Carl
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:47 pm

I is new

suggestion's appreciated . was going to ask the host if we they can adjust our url it looked from what I read like they can . 

Layout on screen Was set so the boxes could see when it was the msntv2 community , I just revived & revised it .  I did not cat that size box when I put the card up .

Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks!

I know none of this is any member's or Admin's fault. It is simply the way this forum is formatted. This seems to be one of the hosting boards that hasn't advanced much probably since it was created. Like I said before, there is probably not much you are going to be able to do to improve this site.

I post a lot of articles and I need to be able to navigate w/out the stops and starts this forum requires. And since I start and continue threads for long periods of time, the ascending/descending posts need to fall in a manner similar to Web-Nuts or the Xtreme 4.0 forums.

On this board my posts won't make much sense. This board just can't work for me. But I want to thank ya'll for the invite. It is probably just as well as my R/L activities are really starting to pick up. But look me up if you folks ever decide to move to a more accommodating abode. I'll continue to monitor my e-mail notices for this forum & post a few articles from time to time.

Thanks

Carl
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male

PostSubject: I wish I followed better   Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 pm

well R/L activities are more important than Boards .

Xtreme 4.0 is a ProphpBB forum very sure the Xtreme 2 was not more than pphpBB2 . if that .
And I really do not see where Web-Nuts was was not more than more than pphpBB2 either . I think I saw this was pphpBB2 .

Those wanting A new Forum ( we moved to / revived / still Revising an existing one ) are greeted by this
phpBB 3 : The New Standard
phpBB 3 is the new black; a stable, standards-compliant forum version. Users appreciate this version for its numerous functionalities and its simplicity.

Web-Nuts in the threads I visited never had New posts at the top of the page of a discussion / thread , and I did Read the GTV thread ..

Neither Xtreme on Armbell nor Xtreme 4.0 do either . and both of them on their Index / Board Index page had / have floating topic position buy most recent after you click on a category . then each of those as did Web-Nuts has the last post on the bottom of the last page .  I had never seen it the way I changed several of these to .

What are these stops and starts ?

Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes, you are right about the latest post on top not solving the problem & please feel free to change them back.

If I remember correctly, the latest post was at the bottom of the page so that it was listed in a conversational flow. So if there are 15 posts to a page then the latest post was always at the bottom of the page. Each page would then stream back with the latest post on the top of each new page.

Hence no need for a reminder post which can get annoying. So rather than edit to have the latest post on top, each page should descend until the page is full so that the latest posts always determines when the next page should start. For example:

Etc...
Page 2
Post 16
Thru
Post 31 

Page 1
Post 1
Thru
Post 15

*Each page keeps the descending order as they move back. This way the latest post never gets buried on another page. I'm almost certain this can be done here. The reason I was thinking that the latest post was 1st is because I never had to go looking for the latest post on another page. Remember, the last post determines the start of a new page which will appear at the top of the previous pages. This is important for longer threads to make sense. Esp for news threads which depend on the chronology of events. 

The stops & starts are caused by having to click on a clear space to get certain pages to scroll. I thought this was caused by my PC but others have mentioned that when you are at the top of the page it will not scroll unless you click on a clear space. Otherwise you'll notice a black bar flashing. This is especially troublesome when in the clickable area of the large Welcome link. Often you can end up back on the Index page.

This doesn't happen every time. But it is often enough to really slow down navigating from one thread to another. I happen to, if not read, then at least click on every  post in most forums I participate on. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this. I'm hoping it turns out to just be my browser settings. This isn't a biggie, probably a scripting bug.

Lastly, and this is something that just started happening. When I preview a post the paragrahs are gone. But if I adjust them then the posts ends up with extra spaces once I hit send.

Really weird...

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:07 pm

You might want to check that the large Welcome image is not causing the scrolling problem. The clickable area may just be too large and can be locking up certain browsers. I'll test how it performs in Chrome or another browser. I'm currently using IE 11? Whatever the latest browser is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   

Back to top Go down

Google TV News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3