Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
ENJOY SUMMER

Share | 

Google TV News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carlszone

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: SFR Launches Google Play Set-top Box   Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Broadband TV News: SFR Launches Google Play Set-top Box

November 21, 2013 08.57 Europe/London By Robert Briel

French operator SFR has started offering customers a new hybrid STB using Android 4.2 combining access to DTT channels and Google Play apps.

The new box is available for rental at EUR3 a month and turns the television into a Google TV giving access to Google services on their TV sets, including YouTube, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Chrome, Picassa and hundreds of apps on PlayStore.

The box also gives access to dozens of radio stations and the on-demand and catch-up TV service from France’s main broadcasters MyTF1, 6play, Pluzz). In addition, viewers will also have access to SFR video club, the operator’s VOD portal with its catalogue of over 3,000 titles.

Connection to the TV set is via HDMI and the STB has two USB ports (which can connect to external hard discs), dual-band Wi-Fi, and acts as a media player capable of reading many audio and video codecs including Dolby Digital and DTS.

The new STB is mainly aimed at customers who are not able to receive IPTV, but can still be used by IPTV customers seeking more web TV content or a second TV gateway for their home.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

PostSubject: Google Chromecast’s Biggest Fan? Netflix Founder Reed Hastings   Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Variety: Google Chromecast’s Biggest Fan? Netflix Founder Reed Hastings

The CEO touts Google’s cheap TV companion as 'the all-time great stocking-stuffer'

NOVEMBER 22, 2013 | 09:00AM PT
Todd Spangler
Digital Editor, New York@xpangler

Guess which Google product will be sitting under Reed Hastings’ Christmas tree.

SEE MORE: From the November 19, 2013 issue of Variety

The Netflix CEO is especially bullish on Google’s Chromecast — touting the cheap adapter as “the all-time great stocking-stuffer” in an exclusive interview with Variety.

Netflix was the critical launch partner for the $35 Chromecast dongle, which went on sale in late July and sold out initial inventory in less than a day. A big enticement was the limited-time offer of three free months of Netflix with a Chromecast purchase (a promo for which Google footed the bill).

SEE ALSO: PHOTOS: Variety’s Holiday Gift Guide: Jeff Koons Dom Perignon, Fitbit Wristband, A.O.C. Cookbook, More

Hastings expects even bigger things from the little gizmo. He wanted to work with Google because he sees an opportunity to create a new category: a low-cost device that turns a regular TV into a smart TV coupled with “this radical, beautiful proposition that there is no remote control.”

Chromecast keeps its bill of materials low in part because it includes no remote control, with all browsing and navigation functions handled on a smartphone or tablet app. The wireless USB-drive-size adapter plugs into an HDMI port on the back of any high-def TV.

SEE ALSO: HBO Go Streams to Google Chromecast

“The tablet or phone is the best remote control because you don’t have to learn to use another interface,” Hastings said, adding, “We think this will be a very big category.”

So far, Hastings said, Netflix has been extremely pleased with the reception of the Chromecast. Sales have vastly exceed Netflix’s initial expectations, he added, though neither he nor Google will provide unit shipment figures. “We see great activation rates, great usage rates and very high-quality streaming on Chromecast,” he said.

But by and large, Netflix has not seen Chromecast produce a wave of new subscribers — because most of the initial buyers of the device already had Netflix.

Hastings’ chief complaint about the product? He wants Google to launch the device globally ASAP.

Chromecast will be in countries outside the U.S., according to Mario Queiroz, VP of product management at Google, though he wouldn’t discuss timing.

Netflix, as the No. 1 Internet video subscription service, was important to have in the product at launch, Queiroz said. “Netflix had strengths of knowing this market really well,” he added.

Chromecast was originally envisioned as a new way to sling YouTube video onto a TV set, so that’s a core feature of the device, and it also incorporates the ability to access video and music content purchased through the Google Play store.

It took Google about 18 months from initial concept in December 2011 to launch. Queiroz admits that the company was caught off-guard by the overnight popularity of the device: “Given the price point and the new user interface model, it was difficult to predict what the adoption was going to be,” he said. “The market demand exceeded our expectations.”

While Queiroz won’t reveal how many Chromecasts have shipped to date, he noted, “We are making money on the product.” And Google is running TV ads as part of a bigger marketing campaign for the device as the holiday shopping season gets under way.

Nobody expects Chromecast to take over the streaming-device market anytime soon. In the holiday retail crush, Google’s cheap set-top-on-a-stick will compete with category leaders Apple TV and Roku, both of which have more extensive content partnerships. Consumers also will be pummeled with a torrent of ads flogging Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One, which offer a range of video-to-the-TV services.

Since the summer launch, Chromecast has added Hulu Plus and Pandora, and this week HBO updated its apps to support the device; more services are in the pipeline. “Given we have a product that we know really resonates with consumers, the next step really is about bringing lots and lots of content to the product,” Queiroz said. As for the status of the Internet company’s older Google TV project, Queiroz said that’s alive and well. He noted, however, that Google is in talks with consumer electronics companies about building Chromecast into their devices.

“The more apps that are Chromecast-enabled, the more interesting it is for manufacturers to offer a Chromecast-enabled device,” he said.

Priced to Sell

Chromecast is cheaper than most over-the-top hardware:

Chromecast – $35
Roku (with limited features) – $50
Apple TV – $99
Bravia Smart Stick – $150
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

PostSubject: Information Commissioner Investigates LG Snooping Smart TV Data Collection   Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:53 am

The Guardian: Information Commissioner Investigates LG Snooping Smart TV Data Collection

TV sets send information about viewing habits and files stored on attached USB disks back to Korean company

Charles Arthur
theguardian.com, Thursday 21 November 2013 12.25 EST

That "smart TV" you bought might be smarter than you expected. LG's smart TV sets send information back to the Korean company about what programmes you have watched, and even what files you may have stored on a USB disks attached to them, a British owner has found.

That has triggered an investigation by the the information commissioner's office over whether sending the data has been done without the user's proper consent.

The ICO says that it has "recently been made aware of a possible data breach which may involve LG smart TVs" and that it will be making inquiries.

The discovery of the data transmission was made by Jason Huntley, a UK-based IT consultant who blogged about his discovery that a setting buried deep in the system defaults included one which said "Collection of watching info", which was set to "on". He found that the data was sent whether the setting was "on" or "off".

On Thursday, LG defended its actions, saying that "information such as channel, broadcast source etc that is collected by certain LG smart TVs is not personal but viewing information". This was collected "to deliver more relevant advertisements and to offer recommendations to viewers based on what other LG smart TV owners are watching".

It conceded that the system also collected filenames of attached USB disks, which it said was "part of a new feature being readied to search for data from the internet (metadata) relating to the program being watched".

An LG spokesperson said that the company is now preparing a software update that will ensure the data is not collected if the relevant setting is off, and would stop collecting filenames.

Earlier this week, the company said that the owner had consented to the collection by accepting the terms and conditions displayed on the TV when it was set up – and so should complain to the retailer.

Millions of TVs with the ability to connect to the internet have been sold in the past two years: according to the consultancy IHS Suppli, 66m were sold in 2012, making up nearly a third of all TV sets sold. By 2015, it forecast that 55% of all TVs sold will be smart TVs, at 141m annually.

But until now it had been thought that the "smart" element was principally one-way - from the internet to the TV, rather than from the viewer to the TV set owner.

Dan Wallach, of Princeton University's centre for information technology policy, said the key problem was "incompetence", adding: "Somebody thought it was a good idea to build these TVs with all these features and nobody ever said 'maybe we need some security people on the design team to make sure we don’t have a problem', much less 'maybe all this data flowing from the TV to us constitutes a massive violation of our customers’ privacy that will land us in legal hot water'. The deep issue here is that it’s relatively easy to build something that works, but it’s significantly harder to build something that’s secure and respects privacy."

A growing number of smart TVs also offer app stores, like those found on smartphones and tablets - which could mean that they are seeking to gather more data on their users.

Data was not encrypted, meaning that it could be picked up by any system in between the TV set and LG's servers. Although the servers were not active, they could have been turned on at any time to receive user information.

In a statement, LG told the Guardian: "Customer privacy is a top priority at LG Electronics and as such, we take this issue very seriously. We are looking into reports that certain viewing information on LG smart TVs was shared without consent. LG offers many unique smart TV models, which differ in features and functions from one market to another."
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:59 am

Hmm...

At first I thought it was a GTV. But it appears it is one of LG's Smart TVs. But I still think it is newsworthy in this thread because there are many out there w/LG Google TV sets. And this doesn't sound like an isolated incident.

I like how the LG response was phrased in such a way as to take advantage of the advertising opportunity even in the face of a scandal. "LG offers many unique smart TV models..." Yada, Yada.

Carl
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male
Number of posts : 3279
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Xbox One was accused of doing the exact same thing awhile back; they told ppl it weren't so , but I guess it'll take another Snowden to find out the truth of the matter, eh?

GF alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah

I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are doing it in some form or another. There are just too many ways around privacy safeguards w/or without our consent. It doesn't bother me either way. And the way folks shout out their private info over cell phones in public places it's really ridiculous to demand stringent privacy protections from companies.

I personally hate hearing folks business on cellphones esp. when someone is shouting in my ear while I'm waiting in line at the bank. There's a narcissistic tendency to think that their mundane conversation provides amusement to their captive audience.

I am not entertained...

Carl
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 pm

I think the Spiel was more to this , which differ in features and functions from one market to another."

As in our sets sold in your ____ country are not bugging you .

Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes, but it still sounded a lil bit opportunistic...
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: [Deal Alert] Google Now Giving Out A Free HD Movie Rental With Chromecasts Purchased From The Play Store    Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:54 am

Android Police: [Deal Alert] Google Now Giving Out A Free HD Movie Rental With Chromecasts Purchased From The Play Store [Update: Amazon, Best Buy Too]

Posted by Bertel King, Jr. in Chromecast, Deals, Google, News

Google would love for you to put a Nexus 7 under someone's tree this holiday season, but they also don't want anyone who can't part with $229+ at the moment to feel left out - so they're now offering customers who purchase a Chromecast from Google Play with a free HD movie rental. If Play Movies isn't quite your cup of tea, you're also free to take $6 in Play Store credit instead. You can then spend that money however you like, except on devices or subscriptions.

Like Google's Nexus 7 offer, this deal expires on March 31st, and the free credit must be accepted by that date or it goes to waste. Sure, we're only talking about six bucks here, but it would still be a shame to see that happen. And lastly, this offer is only valid in the US.

Update: It looks like purchases made on Amazon and at Best Buy are eligible as well. Here's what Google has to say about the logistics of receiving promo codes:

I have a question about the Google Play Holiday promotion.

If you purchased your Chromecast from the Google Play Store, Amazon or Best Buy during the Google Play Holiday promotional period, your promotional code will be emailed to you from the retailer once your Chromecast is shipped. If you purchased your Chromecast from a Best Buy retail store during the promotional period, your promotional code will be printed on your receipt.

If you are having trouble redeeming your promotional code, please contact us here or call us at 1-855-466-4438.

Chromecast in the Play Store

Bertel King, Jr.

Born and raised in the rural South, Bertel knows what it's like to live without 4G LTE - or 3G, for that matter. He now lives in the City of Bridges, adjusting to the presence of actual snow. His phone of choice is the HTC One.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: 5 Tech Products I’m Thankful For   Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:11 pm

News Gnome: 5 Tech Products I’m Thankful For

It’s Thanksgiving day here in the states and, with the turkey not yet in the oven and football having not kicked off, I thought it appropriate to take a moment to give thanks. No, not for my family or for the chance to live my life the way I do, though all of those are on my list, but for tech products — this is a technology news site, after all.

I’ve given careful consideration to this and looked at what I used most over the past year — the products that got the most hands-on, that provided the best experience. I’ve whittled that list down to just five, and now its time to share, to give each a hearty thank-you. I’d offer them a bit of pumpkin pie if I could.

1. Amazon Prime

The web’s top retailer offers its Prime service for just $79 per year, and for that small fee it proceeds to offer infinite value. For less than the annual cost of Netflix, I get streaming movies and TV shows, including new original content. This not only molds itself right into my Kindle Fire tablets, but also is native on my Google TV, putting this content right in the living room on the big screen.

As a bonus, Prime also ships me items within two days (sometimes the next day) free of charge, and even allows me to “borrow books” from its library for use on a Kindle or Kindle app.

2. Android

Google’s mobile operating system has taken the world by storm, and there are good reasons for that. The platform is infinitely hackable and has a seemingly bottomless supply of apps — there really isn’t much I can think of that I can’t find an app for.

I have played with iPads and reviewed Windows tablets, I even own a Windows Phone — which I honestly think is a beautiful piece of hardware with a great OS — but when it comes to being mobile, it is really hard to top Android. The phones and tablets that run the Google’s platform are constantly evolving, and the “OK Google” feature in 4.4 KitKat is amazing.

3. Office 365 Home Premium

Microsoft received a bit of criticism for making the new version of Office a service — yes you can still buy it as Office 2013, but why would you want to? For just over $9 per month I get that same Office 2013 on my computer, and I can put it on four other computers in my home as well. I can even use it on the web, via Office365.com.

With two children in school, both of whom have computers and need them for school work (I trust that’s what they are doing), and the fact I change computers more often than the average person, this is a true blessing. Microsoft allows me to kill the license on a computer no longer in use and get that license back to add to a new system. It’s genius.

4. Google TV

For years I have maintained a home theater PC in my entertainment cabinet. It ran Windows 7 with Media Center set to start upon boot. It was a wonderful experience, but earlier this year the PC started to show signs of age. I considered the options — I could buy a decent, but cheap system and do the same thing, or I could build a custom setup using one of the many HTPC-centric cases available.

In the end, I said no to both of those choices and purchased a Vizio Co-Star. And you know what? I don’t regret that choice, ever. Thanks to Plex I still have access to all of my media files, which now reside in the office. I have native Amazon Prime (see choice number one) and HDMI pass-thru brings my TV and DVR right into the box. There are also numerous apps available, as it is Android, after all (see choice number two).

5. Apple

I know most of you have just done a double-take, perhaps even checked the author name to make sure it was me. No, I haven’t joined the dark side, I’ve never actually owned a product from the fruit logo company, though I have played with the devices on many occasions, and find them well made and intuitive.

The reason I am thankful for Apple is simple — competition. Without Mac computers, iPads, iPods and iPhones, the tech world would not be where it is today. Microsoft and Google would have less incentive to innovate. Apple helped shape the tech world we now live in, and for that I am truly grateful.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: BestBuy Cyber Monday Savings – Apple TV, Chromecast, Toshiba Laptop, Galaxy S4, LG G2   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 am

Tell Me News: BestBuy Cyber Monday Savings – Apple TV, Chromecast, Toshiba Laptop, Galaxy S4, LG G2

DECEMBER 1, 2013 BY PATRICIA AKINS

If you are looking for some lucrative online deals this Cyber Monday, Best Buy may be the right choice for you. The largest electronics chain promises to blow you away with its incredible savings offers and fascinating deals.

According to the Besy Buy website, the big-box electronics chain will host its Cyber Monday sale with one-time sales on electronic goods including laptops, desktops and all-in-one computers, HDTVs, Blu-ray players, digital cameras, mobile phones, video games and much more.

Like the recent Black Friday sales event, Best Buy’s Cyber Monday 2013 sales event will offer you a range of products from laptops, video games, health and fitness gear to holiday shopping, presents and movie and TV shows.

Best Buy’s website suggests that the online shopping platform will offer its customers with special Cyber Monday deals and doorbusters on the technology products that they want most, like select laptops, desktops and all-in-one computers, HDTVs, Blu-ray players, digital cameras, mobile phones, video games and much more. Icing on the cake would be the crazy, epic, once-a-year savings and bonus deals on major and small appliances, health and fitness gear, music, movies and more.

All you need to do is to sign up for email alerts.

Here are some of the products that you can shop at Best Buy:

Apple TV

Apple TV with 1080p HD gives you access to the best content — blockbuster films, sport, your music and photos, and more — on your widescreen TV. You can even play content from your iOS devices on your TV using AirPlay.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

Casts online video and music to your HDTV from popular apps like Netflix, YouTube, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music, and Chrome*; plug in and play; works across platforms; no remote required.

Toshiba C55-A5308 Laptop, Internet Security Software, Sleeve, Mouse & Flash Drive Package

Get power to go with this complete package, featuring a media-friendly Toshiba laptop, Internet security software, a laptop sleeve, a wireless mouse and a flash drive. The key features include 15.6″ HD display; 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor; 4GB memory; 750GB hard drive; Windows 8.

Samsung Galaxy S4 4G with 16GB Memory Mobile Phone – Blue Arctic (AT&T)

Best Buy offers Samsung – Galaxy S4 4G with Qualcomm 1.9GHz quad-core processor, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system, 4G LTE speed, Wi-Fi and Mobile hotspot capability.

LG – G2 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Mobile Phone – Black (Verizon Wireless)

Best Buy offers you LG – G2 4G LTE with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.26GHz quad-core processor, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system, 4G LTE speed, Wi-Fi with 5.2″ touch screen.

Fitbit – Force Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband (Large) – Slate

You can measure your steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, stairs climbed, minutes of activity and length and quality of sleep. Besides it will alert you with vibrating alarm.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:08 pm

The only thing I've bought that vaguely resembles anything electronic is an 32gb SDHC Memory card for storing YouTube videos that I've downloaded; so many of them disappear for whatever reason. But I might get me another thumbdrive, too.

What I haven't found with the Chromebooks are SD Memory Card slots, so that one can view videos one has made using Windows Movie Maker.; the Acer C70 looked like it might have one, but I'm not sure. Do you know?

TIA

alien  Cool 

btw: I have 3 portable hard drives, I use 'em mostly for saving my artistic adventures and as backup to two laptops [ Vista and Win7]
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am

Lol! I just learned how to download. I didn't even know you could download Youtube videos. How do you do it? I have learned how to use my PC as a server for my GTV.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Carl, do you use FireFox? There are several Add-0ns and/or Extensions that one can use to download and convert YouTube videos. . and some actually work on other video sites . . Vimeo, and Daily Motion to name a few.

It's a learning curve with some of them. . they offer a wide range of choices for the different formats .

Pop over thar and then tell me which ones you've chosen , and I probably can help you with it  

The other place to check is Cnet.com but I'm leery of them because they have a tendency to have PUPS that are hard to get rid of at times.  MalwareBytes will remove them but some are pretty persistent and require extra battlegear to get rid of 'em!

HTHs

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:22 am

I was attempting to download firefox when I got about 15 viruses. I was able to get rid of most of them w/an easy uninstall. But two of them won't uninstall but their program data is gone so I think I only still have the folders. But when I've tried to download Chrome both search viruses take over my browser & homepage. So, I'm of a mind that they are Chrome extensions since I was attempting to download both browsers. One is Snap Do and the other is Findwide. I've downloaded Chrome before on PCs I've owned and never saw these extensions before.

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 am

Gigaom: Qualcomm’s AllJoyn Protocol for the Internet of things finds a home in LG TVs

By Stacey Higginbotham
Dec. 3, 2013 - 4:00 PM PST  

Summary:
Wouldn’t it be cool to use any handset to control your TV or to share media around your home? A deal to put Qualcomm’s AllJoyn protocol on LG Smart TVs brings that reality closer.

LG, the Korean appliance vendor will support Qualcomm’s AllJoyn protocol in its smart televisions coming out next year. This is a big deal because it’s a vote in favor of Qualcomm’s AllJoyn protocol that seeks to create a smart layer to connect and control devices regardless of their radio protocol, but also because a big TV vendor is ceding to the viewpoint that the overall connected home ecosystem is more important than an individual company OS.

For consumers this means a bit less until AllJoyn is more widespread. But eventually it could mean that your mobile devices–regardless of device or OS could be used as a controller to play a game on your TV or to share content on the TV.

All 2014 LG Smart TV models will come preloaded with AllJoyn and 2013 and 2012 will be upgraded to support it over time. The details on that timing are unclear however.

LG’s smart TV efforts have been varied. The company has its own operating system for smart TVs, it has a partnership with Google to sell Google TV and it also purchased the Palm WebOS assets from HP this year for use in its televisions. The decision to choose AllJoyn could be an admission that an ecosystem is the right step for building a truly integrated home platform or it could just be a sign of flailing.

However, using AllJoyn, a protocol that Qualcomm has built to help share content between and control a variety of connected devices, could allow LG to offer a TV platform that will let consumers share online content on their televisions without those content providers having to write their apps for every different connected widget out there.

That’s the hope anyhow. Today AllJoyn has been used to show off media sharing and little else. But Rob Chandhok, president of Qualcomm’s Interactive Platforms division, says next year we should see some more interesting use cases. For example when your mobile phone rings, the caller ID could show up on an AllJoyn enabled TV. Likewise a smart watch (say Qualcomm’s Toq) using AllJoyn could eventually control other devices running the protocol
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Marvell Announces ARMADA 1500 Plus SoC for Android-based Smart TV Products   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 am

Hot Hardware: Marvell Announces ARMADA 1500 Plus SoC for Android-based Smart TV Products

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - by  Paul Lilly

Keeping the smart TV movement alive, Marvell today announced its ARMADA 1500 Plus (88DE3108) System-on-Chip (SoC) platform designed for smart video products based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. The Full HD media processor is intended for retail OEM TV and box suppliers looking to differentiate themselves from what's becoming a crowded field.

"I believe this is the beginning of the new era of Smart TV, high quality multi-screen experience on a global scale to the masses. I am very pleased to see the leadership of Google and the progress and effort in achieving this major milestone for the development of Smart TVs with Google services. Marvell is proud to team up with Google and ecosystem partners in driving the latest version of Smart TV," said Weili Dai, President and Co-Founder of Marvell. "Today, the level of smartness of the mobile devices can now be experienced on the big screen at home. Our mission and passion are to lead this great innovation and technology for the digital lifestyle to make the world a better place through high-performance and affordable solutions to better peoples' lives."

The ARMADA 1500 Plus sports significantly improved graphics courtesy of its OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible graphics engine. It also features real-time Full HD 1080p video encode capabilities to allow the platform to function as a multi-screen source devices, an enhanced security engine, Qdeo video processing for HD and 3D video., an integrated HDMI receiver, and GbE support, Marvell says.

This is really a continuation of Google TV's ongoing partnership with Marvell, which the two announced nearly two years ago. During that time, Google TV has struggled to gain a foothold in the living room the way the sultan of search envisioned, perhaps because it's a concept that's still a little bit ahead of its time. However, Google TV also faces increasing competition from existing set-top boxes, as well as modern day game consoles that pull double duty as media centers with streaming capabilities.

"The Google and Marvell teams have been working closely together to bring our combined software and chipset technologies to market to grow the Google TV ecosystem of manufacturers and devices. Marvell-powered Google TV solutions will enable powerful products to be brought to market at attractive prices," Mario Queiroz, VP, Product Management Google TV, announced back in January of last year.

While the ARMADA 1500 Plus is a decent upgrade over the standard ARMADA 1500 released in 2012, it's probably not enough to help Google TV revolutionize the way we consume content in the living room.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 pm

TechTalk-FindWide

FindWide.com

FindWide.com or search.findwide.com is a search engine which is supposed to provide you with reliable and useful search results. The search engine offers you to browse Web, Images, News and Videos. Just as many other search tools out there, this one presents advertisement-supported search results. As the Privacy Policy indicates, these results could be provided by third-party affiliate advertisers, which means that they are covered by different privacy policies. Unfortunately, this is a security vulnerability which potentially could allow mischievous parties to reroute you to corrupted websites. This is not something that will happen to all FindWide users; however, we still recommend that you browse with care. We recommend that you delete FindWide.com and applications related to this suspicious search engine.

FindWide.com does not look suspicious at all and it is likely that you will be able to browse the search engine without any issues. Regardless, we certainly do not recommend installing the infamous Findwide Search toolbar, available from support.findwide.com/about. If you install this plugin without paying any attention to the installer, you may end up with undesirable home page and search provider modifications. If you must install the toolbar but do not want to change browser settings – make sure the boxes placed next to the offered modifications are un-checked. Only then should you click the Agree & Continue button.

It has been discovered that start.search.us.com, a search engine which comes bundled with FindWide.com toolbar, is almost identical to findwide.com itself. It provides the same links to Facebook, Twitter and Wikipedia. Moreover, it follows the same privacy policies. Many computer users find this search engine quite limiting, and the toolbar itself is meant to promote Search Us search engine. Therefore, we do not oppose its removal. Since the plugin is not a malicious computer program, you should be able to delete it using manual removal instructions.

As research shows, FindWide.com removal can be performed manually; however, if you miss one single step – your browser will remain controlled by the undesirable search engine. Therefore, we urge you to be extra cautious with the removal steps provided below. We also recommend installing reliable malware detection and removal software, like SpyHunter, to keep your operating Windows system guarded against those undesirable computer programs which may be dangerous to your own virtual security.
Step I: remove toolbar from PC
Remove from Windows XP:

Place the cursor on the left of the Task Bar and click Start.
Select Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Click the undesirable application and select Remove.

Remove from Windows Vista/Windows 7:

Click Start, select Control Panel and then Uninstall a program.
Right-click the toolbar you wish to delete from the computer.
Select Uninstall.

Remove from Window 8:

Right-click on the background of the Metro UI start screen and select All apps.
Click Control Panel and then Uninstall a program.
Right-click the program you wish to get rid of and select Uninstall.

Step II: delete search tools
Delete from Internet Explorer:

Open the browser, simultaneously tap Alt+T and select Manage Add-ons.
From the menu on the left select Toolbars and Extensions.
Disable the undesirable toolbar.
Select Search Providers and Remove the undesirable search provider.
Click Close to exit the utility.
Tap Alt+T and select Internet Options.
Click the General tab, change the Home Page URL and click OK.

Delete from Mozilla Firefox:

Open Firefox and simultaneously tap Ctrl+Shift+A to open Add-ons Manager.
Click Extensions and Remove the undesirable plugin.
Exit the utility and move to the search box on the top-right corner.
Click the icon and select Manage Search Engines.
Select the undesirable provider, click Remove and then OK.
Simultaneously tap Alt+T and click Options.
Click the General tab, overwrite the Home Page and click OK.

Delete from Google Chrome:

Launch Chrome, simultaneously tap Alt+F, move to Tools and click Extensions.
Click the trash icon next to the undesirable extension and select Remove.
From the menu on the left select Settings and move to On Startup.
Mark Open a specific page or set of pages and click Set pages.
Overwrite/remove the displayed URL and click OK.
Go to Appearance, click Change and repeat step 5.
Move to Search and click Manage search engines.
Click X to remove the undesirable search provider and hit Done.

Click Here To Remove This Spyware Automatically

TechTalk -FindWide
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:38 pm

MS Explains SnapDo
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Put both in your search box . trash anything with that name and date .

Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 am

As posted elsewhere by nquale:

Malwarebytes does work on W8 and as far as SnapDo is concern I googled it and found where the malwarebytes forum states to download and run Junkware Removal Tool first and then download and run AdwCleaner and after that to run malwarebytes so it looks like malwarebytes is unable to remove SnapDo by it self.

HTH

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:26 am

Yes, none of the free malware I've tried worked. As a matter of fact some of the programs I tried had their own addons that I had to uninstall after the scans. I'm getting some advice from Norton's and my PC is now running fine. I just hate to see their folders in my programs and while I have them disabled they are still listed as addons.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google Play for Android expected to get new features   Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

CNET: Google Play for Android expected to get new features

An updated version of the Google Play app refreshes the interface and adds tweaks like an activity feed, according to one blog.

By Scott Webster
December 6, 2013 8:21 AM PST  

Google is expected to roll out an updated version of the Google Play app for Android, according to Android Police, which hosts an unverified version of the app (download at your own risk).

The blog, which often gets its hands on early releases of apps, says that the 4.5.10 release brings a number of new features and enhancements, that it's more transparent and obvious for users, and that it makes it easier for  Android owners to discover new apps.

Chief among the new features, Google Play will tell you if an app or game features in-app purchases. While it won't indicate the cost or how many transactions might be available, it lets one know that the free game might not be free in the end.

Reviews get a punch-up in the new release, as the five-star ratings system becomes more clear. We can say goodbye to the blue stars with black outlines and hello to the familiar Android green hue. For the first time, users will be able to edit reviews as well as delete from within inside the app.

Keeping in line with the Google+ experience, avatar images are now circles instead of square. Typography changes here and there also make for a cleaner overall interface.

One new addition to the Google Play app is the introduction of an activity feed. In essence, this lets users view and share a stream of your activities as it pertains to the Play store. Information shown in the feed figures to include ratings, reviews, and +1s, all of which can link through to a Google+ profile. If anything, the new app should help Android users discover new content and potentially meet new contacts.

According to Android Police, the app is ready to go and is should slowly push out to devices in the coming days and weeks.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google TV Redo Might Be Tagged 'Nexus'   Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:09 am

CNET: Google TV Redo Might Be Tagged 'Nexus'

The anticipated Google TV relaunch could be named after a much more successful branch of Google products.

By Seth Rosenblatt
December 6, 2013 4:08 PM PST  

Android-based Google TV has struggled to find its footing, but the planned reboot of Google's Web-enabled television box next year could come with a familiar name.

The set-top box could be called Nexus TV, tying the Google TV redo to the company's successful line of flagship  Android phones and  tablets, according to a report Friday in The Information (subscription required).

The report also says that Google will be re-launching Nexus TV sometime in the first half of 2014, which follows Android and Chrome chief Sundar Pichai's statement to CNET that there would be a Google TV announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.

A Google spokesperson declined to comment on the report, citing the speculative nature of the report.

Previously, Google TV was rumored to be renamed Android TV. The Nexus branding would be an interesting move for Google, given that Nexus devices tend to be well-received by consumers and that Nexus devices tend to be seen as a template for manufacturers to emulate or surpass.

The current Google TV has been stuck in a limbo of development, running Android 3.2 Honeycomb, while newer Android phones and tablets run Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and  Android 4.4 KitKat. Although no announcement has been made, it's likely that the rebranding will upgrade the operating system to a more current version of Android.

About Seth Rosenblatt

Senior writer Seth Rosenblatt covers Google and security for CNET News, with occasional forays into tech and pop culture. Formerly a CNET Reviews senior editor for software, he has written about nearly every category of software and app available.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Google could launch 'Nexus TV' Android set-top next year, says report   Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 am

The Verge: Google could launch 'Nexus TV' Android set-top next year, says report

By Dante D'Orazio on December 6, 2013 04:58 pm Email @dantedorazio

Google isn't giving up its living room ambitions. The company is said to be working on a "Nexus TV" device that will run Android, stream video from services like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, and play a selection of video games. The rumor comes from The Information's Amir Efrati, who cites an anonymous Google employee. The device is said to be ready for launch as soon as the first half of next year, according to the report.

Rumors of a Google-made Android set top box go back to July of this year, when The Wall Street Journal reported that such a device was demoed by Andy Rubin behind closed doors at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Sources told the paper at the time that the box included a Kinect-like motion sensor and could be controlled with an Android smartphone. Today's report from The Information corroborates these details (though a motion sensor is not mentioned), and adds that a purpose-built touchpad remote could be included with the set-top box. Google reportedly showed off a version of the box to developers as recently as this fall.

It's said that the device will not support live broadcast, which would mean Google could avoid the hassle of trying to bring traditional content providers on board. That's a task that's so far proved impossible for other companies: Intel abandoned its efforts to launch an internet set-top box after failing to secure such deals, and it's rumored that an Apple television device has been delayed for similar reasons. If the Nexus TV reports are accurate, Google seems to be pursuing a similar strategy as Amazon, which is rumored to have a set-top box of its own set for next year.

Google has launched a number of products to attempt to gain a foothold in the living room, starting with the ill-fated (but still living) Google TV operating system that manufacturers built into smart TVs and other devices. It later announced the expensive Nexus Q (which never officially went on sale), and this year it began selling a small HDMI dongle called the Chromecast, which streams from just a few services and costs $35. The latter has seen some success, but it's a device with a simple feature set. A fully-fledged Nexus TV set-top box that runs Android would be in a different category — though today's report suggests it will be "aggressively priced."
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Where do ppl set their set-top boxes?  Especially those of us/you who like to collect the latest ( cheapest) Entertainment device?  

Do you have extra fans blowing so that you don't become overheated and extra grumpy?  Do you have the old style TV Entertainment cabinets to hold all the set-tops and gosh knows wires ( all tabulated with ID Stickers) so that you can keep everything straight and orderly?

How's da electric bill these days?  cyclops  Is it worth it?  scratch 

Are you still in a  meaningful relationship or have you been regulated to the basement with your fellow gadget hounds ? wel   

:bwahaha: 

alien 
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Lol!

I love this! It is funny that you mention electric bills, wires, and various electronics. Have you used a cable service w/phone recently. They have this God-Awful configuration of telephone modem that is guaranteed to strew more cables across yer floor than anything I've seen yet.

Cable companies are so arrogant that they are getting lazy! Instead of using the wiring that exists in most apartments & homes, they would rather use  a phone modem. This thing avails yer Cox phone to be connected outside of your telephone line. How does this make sense?

I actually had an over-aggressive Cox tech come into my apartment and demand that I use their telephone modem after I paid $74.00 for the current cable modem. I promptly told him to Kiss My Grits, altho,  not in those words! The arrogance of the cable company is frightening!

Cable could have added more wires to my entertainment system than any device I have requires. HdMI cables can be hid. Going wireless of course limits cables but may compromise security. It all depends on how you have your system set up.

As for electricity concerns, are you kidding me? All the GTV devices I've ever owned do not equate to more than a coupla dollars a month running 24/7. Any device that does?  Return it!

Google TV is the Cheap man's all in one device...

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi

Honestly, I must tell ya! Google TV is at a crossroads. I would not & cannot recommend any GTV device right now. Do not buy any of the current GTV devices currently on the market. And for Goodness sakes! Do not even think of buying any of the Smart TVs being sold anywhere!

Wait all this crap out! Google TV may be revised in the above forementioned Nexus TV attempt. Yeah, Hell hasn't frozen over yet, but it just might.

Buying a device to make yer TV smart makes sense. Buying a Smart TV is insane!

An HDTV you own. A smart TV owns you...

I'm serious...

Thanks

Carl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Google TV News   

Back to top Go down

Google TV News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next